Thursday, April 17, 2008

On Blogs and Other things..

Who According to me should be the next TIME Man of the Year? It should be The Blogger. Everyone I come across is writing a blog these days. Guys(and some gals too) are taking to blogging like an Indian kid takes to Cricket. Mr Humble Genius is back on the blogging scene, so is Mr Baddy, Mr Arsenal has announced his arrival with a bang and Mr Eggcentric is continuing with full vigour without any egging from anyone(I cant name everyone here - mostly due to insufficient memory and time constraint, read patience). I have had the great pleasure in reading about diverse topics ranging from movie reviews to some serious introspection. In short,I have had a great time just reading everyone's post without writing a word(apart from the comments, which are mostly ignored).But it has made me wonder about a single thing i.e. what makes people - Blog?Is it the craving for recognition? Is it just an outlet for the anger and frustration that we all feel in varying degrees everyday? or is it the need for "Intellectual Masturbation"- that men/women of reasonable intellect are ready to do at the drop of a hat(One has to be in Calcutta to feel this phenomenon.BTW I have borrowed this term from my dear friend Sadhan).May be, I will never know. But from the posts that I have read(since the day I first heard the word - Blog) it is clear(or I think it is) that it's never one of the above, but rather a combination of those.I have been missing from this parallel universe for close to a year now.
I was holding myself back from adding a dash of mediocrity to a place teeming with brillance from the thousand of bright stars that inhabit it.Today I finally gave in to the temptation, a day I will surely live to regret. There have been a number of things since the last time I wrote. A quick update:

* I tried cracking CAT. Almost got addicted to crack instead.(The 2nd statement is imaginary.But do you care?)
* At my office we tried to screw the onsite guy by delivering crap two projects in a row.But he was dumb and the client dumberer.And we failed gloriously.
* Discovered a lot of places in Calcutta,now called Kolkata by some.Mostly eateries where the food is cheap and the service compensates for the great food.
* Had been to Sikkim with friends.Sadly most of my time was spent snapping photographs and the trip was over before I ran out of battery.Next time I will be going alone(i.e. without my camera) even if it means less scraps on Orkut.
* Made plans as well as arrangements to leave Calcutta thanks to the great excuse called Higher Education(where nothing but the fee is higher).
* Have completed a few books in between. The bulkier ones being Losing My Virginity(Dint say how he lost it. Should be sued by all those people who thought it was a sex manual) and Shantaram(a nice book where Greg Roberts relapses in periods of introspection every second page).
* Watched a lot of Movies a few good , a few bad and a few crap. There were very thin lines separating them and at times no line at all. "Into The Wild" is one of the most inspirational movies I have seen in a long time. Russel Crowe was good in American Gangster, so was Washington in the same movie and Manoj Bajpai in 1971. The Oscar movies were "Good" but very sleepy.I regret watching the hindi ones barring a few like 1971,Dharm,Mithya etc.
* Roadies 5.0. Noting unites MRM(short for Maa Raan Mansion - the place where I stay) like it does.Inspite of the bizarre concept, dumb babes, smart ass judges and kindergarten politics its still the best reality show on TV and its FREE(no SMSing).

Is that my boss approaching???It's time to get back to (pretending to)work!!

1 comments:

Sumo said...

Ok...I certainly didn't find ur attempt mediocre. But perhaps that's because mediocrity is in the eyes of the beholder??? :D